The Rhode Island Department of Health (RIDOH) may release data from HealthFacts RI, Rhode Island's All-Payer Claims Database (RI APCD) to a person or organization engaged in improving, evaluating or otherwise measuring health care provided to members.
This application is for custom requests only. Custom requests are for data that is not already available publicly on the HealthFacts RI website, and for which standard claims extracts are not appropriate. This may include custom and/or aggregated reports, or custom extracts. Please refer to the HealthFacts RI webpage (http://www.health.ri.gov/data/healthfactsri/) prior to completing this application to confirm that neither the publicly available data nor the Standard Claims Extracts meet your needs.
All requesters must complete this application specifying their request and what type of data is needed. Some requests will require a further review process by the Data Release Review Board and approval by the Director of the Department of Health. This review process is required when one or more of the following is requested:
• Individual claims with member level detail (e.g. unique member ID, 5-digit zip code, etc.)
• Cells based on fewer than 11 members are not suppressed
• Data will be linked to another data source that increases the risk of member re-identification
To make a custom request, follow the steps below:
1. Review the PDF copy of the online application and gather all necessary documentation before beginning the online application. PLEASE NOTE: YOU CANNOT SAVE AND RETURN TO THE ONLINE APPLICATION ONCE YOU HAVE BEGUN.
2. Complete the online application.
3. Complete the Application Fee Remittance form and mail check to RIDOH (see Application Fee information below).
4. Once application and fee are received, a member of the HealthFacts RI team will contact you regarding any issues with your application and next steps.
FORMS AND ATTACHMENTS: All forms and application attachments associated this application can be found at http://www.health.ri.gov/data/healthfactsri. Please submit all attachments in document or PDF format. The following file types are not accepted: .html, .exe, .dll, .php, .php3 or .phps. Attachments are limited to 10 MB.
APPLICATION FEE: Along with submission of the online application, all applicants must mail in the Application Fee Remittance Form and a non-refundable $100 application fee (in the form of a check). DATA REQUESTS WILL NOT BE CONSIDERED UNTIL BOTH THE ELECTRONIC APPLICATION AND THE REMITTANCE FORM/APPLICATION FEE ARE RECEIVED. The Application Fee Remittance Form and mailing address can be found on the RIDOH HealthFacts RI webpage (www.health.ri.gov/data/healthfactsri).
DATA RELEASE REVIEW BOARD: HealthFacts RI staff will determine if the application requires review by the APCD Data Release Review Board and notify the requester. The Board reviews requests to ensure patient privacy will be adequately protected by evaluating the following criteria:
• Appropriate privacy and security protections are in place to protect patient privacy
• Applicant will adhere to cell size suppression policy
• Access to data is necessary to achieve project's intended goals (there is an obvious link between project and data)
• Applicant is qualified to protect and responsibly handle data
This review is strictly for privacy protection purposes and is not a scientific review. Applicants are encouraged to attend the Board meeting during which their application is being reviewed.
DATA ACQUISITION FEE:
If your request for APCD data is approved, a member of the HealthFacts RI team will contact you about payment. Applicants should refer to the fees listed on the RIDOH HealthFacts RI webpage (www.health.ri.gov/data/healthfactsri) prior to submitting their applications.
For questions regarding the data request process or this application, please contact DOH.HealthFactsRI@health.ri.gov or Alyssa Harrington, APCD Project Manager at email@example.com or 617-243-9509 Ext. 204.
Per the RI APCD Regulations, parts of this application may be posted on the RIDOH HealthFacts RI website for public comment.
Questions marked with * are required.